6.25.2010

The Inspector Has It!

I just finished my final Stuart MacBride book and in record time - 9 days! It was just as good as all the others, and I love, love, love MacBride's humor, the Aberdeen-based setting and reading "Scottish speak."


Dark Blood


'Inspector?' A shivering constable grabbed the blue-and-white 'POLICE' tape, stretching it up and out of the way. 'They're over there, sir.'

Logan McRae plipped the locks on his mud-spattered Audi, then ducked under the tape and slithered his way across the pale sand, making for the knot of figures gathered outside the SOC tent. It sat between a pair of massive sand dunes, the white plastic sheeting flapping in the frigid wind that whistled in off the North Sea. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, but the low sun hadn't made it over the crest of jagged pampas grass yet, leaving the crime scene shrouded in deep blue shadow.

Balmedie Beach wasn't exactly the Costa Del Sol at the best of times, but half ten on a cold January morning it could freeze the nipples off a polar bear. Aberdeen - two degrees north of Moscow.

If the city had a zoo, they'd have to give the penguins bobble hats in the winter.



 


I'm about to get started on a new series by fellow UK writer Ian Rankin. Hopefully it's just as addicting!

 


"A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it."
~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

1 comment:

  1. Where did you find that MOST perfect quote at the end of your post?? It is SO true!! I just finished 'A Mother's Hope' last night! Record time for me, too! Would you believe NINE days? That is so wierd! Of course I have been sick so I have read a lot. You could have done it in 4 or 5 days! I dread finding another book to go into next....I have lived so many lives through this one! But I can't go anywhere without a BOOK!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from any readers out there, just keep it clean and friendly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...