6.19.2010

Kilt for Hire!

Today's highlight was our first (and probably only) trip to the kilt shop to get Mike fitted up for a friend's wedding we'll be attending here in Aberdeen in July.

There's lots of interesting things to look at, especially since we're not used to seeing so much tartan in one place.



Lots of interesting things...


I had to write a story on kilts and trews (trousers) earlier this year for a local bridal magazine, which was very educational! I learned that the man purse is known as the sporran, usually made from seal skin. And I also learned they don't take kindly to you calling it a man purse.


This particular shop has three different categories of kilts - Standard, Premium and Pride. From what I understand the Standard and Premium are more clan tartans and the Pride of Scotland kilts are more generalized. Mike chose the Hunting Pride pattern, mostly dark grey with a little yellow.


He paired it with a black vest and jacket with gold buttons, which'll match the dark black sporran he'll be, er, sportin'.


I can't reveal the whole look just yet, but here's a sneak peek to give you an idea!


Isn't he handsome?

He was pretty excited to have a reason to wear a kilt, a must when you've lived in Scotland for a year! I like the "Braveheart-esque" look, as I call it.

I'm also particularly happy about the sporran and getting to stash a flask of whisky in there. You never know when you might get thirsty.

And yes, modern day kilt-wearers keep their underwear on. Just in case you were wondering.

2 comments:

  1. FANtastic!!!! And, YES, my dear!! your husband and MY son in law is indeed extremely HANDSOME!!! I am looking forward to the pics from the upcoming wedding. Is it one of his co workers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see him in his kilt!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from any readers out there, just keep it clean and friendly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...