5.06.2012

{Quad Squad} 26 Weeks!

We have reached another big goal in this pregnancy, 26 weeks! I was way too tired yesterday to update the blog, but am feeling a little better today so y'all get to hear all the exciting ongoings from my hospital room, lol. Thursday my contractions really started increasing, which I mentioned in my last post, but they were still irregular and not highly concerning like I'm-about-to-go-into-labor kinda deal. However, I hadn't had that many contractions in awhile and I felt my stomach never relaxed at all, it just never "let go" and my entire body was physically worn out by day's end. This slightly concerned me because sometimes you just have a gut feeling about things. I knew I needed some "help" to get over this hump and try to maintain smooth sailing to 28 weeks so I talked to my doc and we agreed to up my magnesium to the 2mg/hour. I did fairly well with this increase, although it made me completely exhausted, wore out my muscles and gave me double vision. (Try watching the Kentucky Derby race on TV with one eye shut and your hand holding up your other eyebrow. I still wasn't sure who won, ha.)


During the night and early hours of this morning, every time I got up for a bathroom break I felt like I was getting sick—like I was about to come down with something. By this morning, I recognized that lovely feeling as just a side effect of the mag. Body aches and pains, fatigue, nausea, etc. My doc's partner, or rather the one who actually owns the practice, made the rounds this morning. He's as nice as can be and the husband and I like him as much as our regular doctor. My husband sees them palling around the hallways sometimes walking in between buildings and they seem to work very well together and both have great experience. (There's four docs total in the practice that cares for me, but you still have your own individual doc. The others fill in as needed. They are all great!)


We discussed my current condition, how I felt and making it the next two weeks to 28. His decision was to decrease my mag back down to 1mg/hour (very tolerable for me at this point), give me 1/2 a round of Indocin (normally a 48-hour only medicine once a week, this time I'll just take it for 24 hours) and go ahead with my first round of steroid injections. As I write this, my right ass cheek is protesting that last decision, though with very little effectiveness since it already got poked and dosed. The steroids help grow the babies' lungs a little bit faster, so in the event they are born any day now, they'll have a leg up in the breathing department. Hugely important for preemies. And I've responded very well to the Indocin in the past, so we're confident this will help me get through the next 13 days to reach our 28 week goal. After that, every day will be a huge milestone and I will be taking things 24 hours at a time. No more week by week counting!


I feel more upbeat about reaching our goal and I'm surprised at how positive and energetic I sound through this blog post, even. Many of you kind folks have commented on my good attitude and positivity and I am glad it has sounded that way. There have been many days that I have not felt the least bit positive, which I know is normal, and sometimes I just have to sulk for awhile and wish I wasn't in this hospital anymore. But I also know that every day I lay in this bed, take these meds and will my body through another day, is less time these four little babies lay in the NICU. It's getting more and more real with each passing day, as well. They've prepared the NICU wrist bands that my husband and I will wear to gain access to our quad squad once they're born; I've received my first steroid injection, a sign that we are preparing for the eminent; the NICU nurses upstairs have received word that I'm down here cooking away and will be adding four teeny bodies to their unit soon; and my husband got me a calendar to hang on the wall so I can mark off each day that passes.


I'm glad for a good day every now and then to get me through the harder ones, and I know that things are only going to get tougher the longer I go. But reading your wonderful comments, sharing my journey with everyone and basking in the support of family and close friends has truly helped so much. Not to mention my amazing husband who has gone above and beyond throughout all this! So here's to another week under our belts and growing babies a little longer. :)


18 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 06, 2012

    Praying for you to keep those littles cooking for as long as possible, and happy to see another target reached. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post!!! I am missing you already! As I walk the beach in Galveston this afternoon - I am already planning the day when I can bring the quadlets along and watch them enjoy the sand and waves.

    Love you dearly and am so enormously PROUD of you....and of MIKE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 06, 2012

    You are my hero!! I hope and pray that you make it to a safe 28 weeks and more. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the comment above. You are my hero too. Congrats on getting to 26 weeks. I know you can make it through 13 more days. The longest part of this experience is behind you. My whole Tuesday morning Bible study is praying for you. They ask me every week how you are doing. Philadelphia is rooting for you! What a great guy you have in Mike. You and he are going to be an awesome parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been keeping up with you and so glad you made it through another week. I have been excited as y'all keeping up with your pregnancy. You look great for carrying 4 little ones. Keep up the great work mama you will be to the end very soon. I can't wait to see your three little men and one very pretty princess. She is sure to have 3 great bodyguards when she grows up. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 06, 2012

    I stumbled upon your blog and am so glad I did! You are going to be an amazing mama, look how much you've done for them already. You've given them each a chance! Everyday matters- so keep cooking those babes. I can't wait to read more about these miracles!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 06, 2012

    I started reading your blog a few days ago. I am 9 weeks pregnant with quads:) While I am beyond happy that my husband and I are finally expecting, I am also a bit terrified to be honest. Your blog, however, has calmed me in some ways and I am grateful for having stumbled upon it. I was actually put on strict bed rest at 7.5 weeks because of a large bleed in the uterus, so I eagerly await your posts!
    You are doing such an amazing job already, that I can just tell you will be a terrific mother. I will keep all my fingers & toes crossed that you make it to 28 weeks and beyond!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big Congrats on your quads girl!!!! I hope I can provide some helpful info. Please email me anytime with questions (its under contact me at top of the page). There's also a fantastic quad mom group on Facebook and is a terrific resource. I'm happy to get you added, just let me know!!!!

      Delete
  8. Raising glass of Sweet tea toasting that you made it to 26 weeks, you are doing so great, can certainly understand why your Dear Mom is sooooooo proud of you!!
    Hope you let that "Cheap Ass Bunny" have it when they poked you in the bottom:) Ouch
    Silly question how do you keep your hair so nice while in bed all the time, does it have a natural curl/wave?
    Continued prayers for another week of keeping those little ones in the oven.
    Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernice! I use the method in this you tube video to curl my hair overnight with no heat, but I use bigger sections of hair then she does for more waves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxS1ohz4Ao&feature=youtube_gdata_player

      I need to do my own video tutorial soon!

      Delete
  9. AnonymousMay 06, 2012

    Great to hear from you! May God bless you and those little ones! Found you by accident, but so glad to read your story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is soooooo exciting.
    Thank you for sharing.
    I feel like I know you - "really" know you. What an amazing journey for you and Mike. I enjoy your blog posts/updates. Praying for you and the crew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your comment about you having to endure more meds & more days in the hospital so that your babies can spend less time in the NICU goes to prove how much of an amazing mom you are already. Happy Mothers Day, early!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousMay 06, 2012

    I happened upon your blog just this weekend and got caught up on your journey! and timely so, as my family just participated in Kansas City's March for Babies. Or son was unexpectedly born at 28 Weeks last year so I understand some of what you are going through. The mag is just plain awful (does it make you feel like your insides are sitting on the sun like it did to me??)...but it gets you through to the next day so its so worth it. I'm so glad you got the steroid. I attribute the fact that Grant didn't have to be on the ventilator to those shots!! Keep going you're already doing great! If you are bored and want to read about our journey as NICU parents, you can visit our blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy in AlabamaMay 07, 2012

    YEAH for another week!!! You are a great momma willing to do whatever is necessary for these babies. That is what motherhood is about. Sending prayers for the doctors treating you, for you to have the endurance and patience needed, for your husband to keep on doing what he's doing because that also motivates you, safe traveling for you mom so she can come help her baby!!! God bless this family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Im so very happy that the quads are still growing . Keep up the good work . I continue to prya that your able to carry at least 3 more weeks so that there all over 3 lbs . Have a great week .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work and keep those babies cooking! Thinking of you often and look forward to each update. Prayers continue......a friend in East Texas, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope we didn't wear you out too bad Saturday. You looked tired but great. We retraced our steps and found no stray penguin. ;o( that bad little penguin ran away.
    One day at a time ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from any readers out there, just keep it clean and friendly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...