5.27.2012

{Quad Squad} 29 Weeks!

Why hello there, I'm back! At least for this post, anyway. I hope you all enjoyed the great information my mom shared in her guest post last week—she'll also likely be posting the big news once the quads arrive! I've been "under the influence" quite a bit with the different medications they've got me on for everything from nausea and contractions to pain and that always lovely magnesium sulfate. I really can't believe that tomorrow marks seven weeks (that's 49 days) in the hospital and about 46 days on the mag.


The past two days have been pretty good, and today has been average as well. I'm extremely exhausted most of the time and have kept to my bed, staying horizontal to keep things calm and contractions to a minimum. I've had a few close calls over the past week where the contractions picked up and we all stood by to see what they would do. Some of them have gotten to the point of being painful, but eventually they would calm down. During the last bout, my doctor had me start another round of Indocin (to help slow contractions), which is that medication I can only take for 48 hours about once a week. Anything longer and you run the risk of depleting the babies' amnionic fluid levels. The fluid is able to replenish itself if it gets a little low, but push it too far and you might end up in a tricky situation. I just finished my last dose of Indocin last night, so now it's literally a waiting game. There's really nothing else they can give me if the contractions pick up again (I can't take Indocin until closer to the weekend and I'm already on 2 grams of mag per hour), so we've got our fingers and toes all crossed. Today I've had very few contractions, tonight or tomorrow could be a different story!


All that said, I've scooted my little quad-pregnant booty past the 29 week mark and we're now headed for 30. It's insane that I've held together for this long. I seriously don't think I have much longer. My stomach has grown even more and the quads are probably all weighing from 2.5 to 3.25 pounds by now. Their weights are good, their hearts and health look good and now the husband and I are just standing by to meet them! My skin on my stomach is starting to really hurt and my belly has taken on a weird oblong shape as it struggles to accommodate the quads. These babies are literally pushing the limits now. Each day, I'm amazed I've gone another 24 hours without bursting at the seams. Last week, I had a hard time of it—the days were passing by so slowly and I just didn't know how much more I could take. But sometimes you have to let it all out, take a deep breath and start over. The husband has stayed with me this Memorial Weekend and we've kept quiet so as to keep my body calm and at least make it a few days closer to 30 weeks if possible.

Yesterday morning he brought honey butter chicken biscuits from Whataburger for breakfast, delish! Then we had fajita tacos, chips and queso for our dinner last night and watched a movie. Today I've been napping most of the day and he's gotten some work done at the make-shift desk near my bed and even went jogging on an outdoor path near the hospital. He's been so awesome spending so much time with me up here, to the point that even the nurses comment how much better I do when he's around.I truly love him for his selfless support of me and our babies throughout this pregnancy and I can't wait to see him in action as a father.

Last weekend, for my 28 week celebration, the husband brought up these huge number balloons to help celebrate. I loved them!


And my mom and step-dad came up to the hospital, cake in hand, to spend time with us and relish the fact that I'd reached my main goal.


Yesterday, since I was having a good afternoon, one of my favorite nurses nabbed a wheel chair and took the husband and I to the OR so we could see where all the action will happen. It's literally down the hall and one turn from my hospital room, so very close. We were very happy to get a look inside, actually, since it will help us stay oriented when all the chaos starts. That way I can picture where I'm at and I'll know where the babies are going once they come out, versus trying to familiarize myself with a completely strange new place in the midst of all the rush. And of course we had to snap a super lovely picture of the husband and myself, looking hot and sexy as ever. (We're in the recovery room in the photo, which is right next to the OR.) He'd gone jogging in the heat just prior to our tour and I'd woken up not long before, so between the sweat stains and makeup-less face....well, it is what it is. ;)


There's a small room in between the two operating rooms that we saw, which is where they keep the warmers for the babies. Typically they have three warmers in there since that usually accommodates "normal" deliveries. However, with our quad squad we'll need a whopping four warmers. Just outside the OR in the hallway was a fourth warmer with a sign that read "For the Quads, Please do not move." Love it! It feels good to know they are ready and waiting for these little guys to arrive.

We are in the day-by-day zone now, it's all a waiting game at this point. I feel like I could possibly make it through to 30 weeks but am not sure about anything past that based on how I feel physically and the pressure and weight of these four babies. But stranger things have happened! The main focus right now is keeping me comfortable—even sleeping on my side is becoming an issue—and maintaining my spirits until the end. Many times, especially in the evenings when I'm alone, I log onto my blog from my phone and read all the incredible comments that everyone's left to encourage myself to keep going and stay strong. So thank you for reading! 29 weeks, one day and counting...

34 comments:

  1. AMAZING!! You are now and have always been! Amazing.

    I miss seeing you the last couple days and am so happy for these new pics!

    You are such a good writer.
    Loved every single word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Amber! I am praying for June babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love You Amber! You have been so brave, I've seen that trait in you before. Prayers for you, Mike and those babies. Wishes for peace and blessings each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amber, I've been a lurker for a long time, but wanted to say hello and wish both you and Mike, well with this continued journey. I'm a mother of twins ( 1 weeks shy of 26 yrs)! Years ago, I did the hospital stay and the mag sulfate, with a 4yr old at home, and I made it to 35 weeks. I held off for a June birthday for them and made it - June 1 - ha! You are doing wonderfully, hang in there and you will soon be holding your new bundles of J O Y !!!!!

    JeJe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think, this time next year you'll be planning a big birthday party for your (four) 1 yr olds! (I always tried to dwell on that thought when I was in labor, and it kept me focused and "pushing" *pun* toward the goal.). Hold that thought near when times are difficult. It's almost time for the BIG EVENT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 27, 2012

    Keep up the good work, Amber! I've only been following your blog for a few months, but I can tell by everything you're doing to keep your babies helthy that you're going to be the best mom. So many people are sending you good thoughts and prayers (even all the way up here in Canada!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 27, 2012

    Amber,
    I always get a little giddy when there is a blog update. So thankful you made it another week, and we are praying for you each and every day. Those sweet babies are very blessed to have you and Mike. You are doing an amazing thing for the sweet angels you are carrying.
    Sending many blessings your way,
    Blaire and Russell Reagan

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING! You can almost see the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousMay 27, 2012

    You are doing SO well gestating these babies!

    I have one question, though...every time you mention the special foods your husband brings you it makes me wonder if you've managed to avoid heartburn with 4 babies in there?! I have 3 year old B/G twins and the heartburn was killer during my pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly I have avoided heart burn and any major indigestion for the entire pregnancy. I dealt with constipation the first four months but that is gone now too. And being on hospital bed rest, sometimes I am so tired I eat my meals laying down! They give me pepcid now and then but overall it hasn't been an issue. Thank goodness because I've got plenty else to deal with!

      Delete
  10. wow your tummy is so big!!! four babies! you're doing so good. you can totally do this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so happy to hear all is going well...won't be long and you will have 4 bundles of joy....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I am so glad to hear you are doing well! You are so lucky to have such a cute family supporting you, your mom and husband both seem just incredible :) You are so close! I have been thinking about you every day and am so impressed at how strong you have been throughout this process! I cant wait to see the little ones when they arrive! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are doing so Great!! 29 weeks wow!! You look wonderful, your tummy is pretty big,are the strech mark really bad?
    Continued prayers, cannot wait for the quads arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so very happy for you and your hubby that you made it to 29 weeks . You have done such a great job , you should be proud of your self .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every day now I wonder if I will hear that you had them! I'm so glad you've made it thus far and been able to take care of your babies so well! I'm sure the job won't be any easier once they're born but at least then they'll be able to eat and breathe on their own. You two are great parents already!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago and just got hooked immediatly. You are doing an awsome job cooking those babies to hopefully be strong healthy bundles of joy. I know the road is long and hasn't been the easiest but all great things are worth struggling for. Congrats on making it so far. I'm excited to see how long they will hold off until they make their arrivial. They are 4 lucky babies to get to join such great parents.

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO amazing to be at 29 weeks with Quads! (And looking GREAT, by the way)

    I remember each and every day passed so slowly for me when I was pregnant with my two, and everyone kept telling me it was so much better for them to be inside me than the NICU but I felt like absolute hell! You are doing a fantastic job. It really is all worth it when you realize you how healthy they are when they come out. Try to hang in there because every single moment really does count! :)

    Love and best wishes your way <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. AnonymousMay 28, 2012

    Hi Amber,

    I've been reading your blog for awhile now and have yet to comment. Your story and strength are truly amazing. Your definitely an inspiration and your faith is incredible. Good luck in the next couple of weeks. You're gonna rock this! (and those babies are going to be surrounded by the best family - full of love and support!)

    Gig 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey! I have been reading your bolg updates every week! I'm praying for you in the babies! So happy you have made it so far! How exciting soon those babies will be out and in your arms. Honestly when I read the updates and see how you are still chuggn along, it makes me feel better about our our quads and that I can do this too. Keep strong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aye aye quine, fit like? Hope you haven't forgotten your Aberdonian!
    All good wishes from Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mississippi MomMay 28, 2012

    Amber,

    I happened to find your blog through several friends' blogs. I am a mother to two girls and I want you to know that all we mothers (and ones to be) are in a sisterhood together! Even though we've never met, I am praying for you! God is proud that you are His child and will use you and your husband with your little warriors for Christ! I wanted to pass along a Bible verse that I found the night I was being induced to have my little 16 month old now. I could not sleep and was restless and nervous, but God gave me peace through His words. Proverbs 3:24 "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."

    God will be by your side as you march on this precious journey of motherhood!

    Blessings,
    Jenny Holman

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy 29 weeks! You are doing absolutely amazing. Just think you couldn't wait to get to 28 weeks and now you have already made it a week past that! Come on 30!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad you have made it to your goal and then sum. You are just amazing at how well you are doing. Prayers for you and the quads as you work to make it to 30 weeks. Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  24. Our God is an awesome God! You are doing amazing....so happy for you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers......this is amazing! A friend in East Texas, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  25. AnonymousMay 29, 2012

    Great Job Amber!! Praying for you, your husband, and the doctors and teams of nurses that will be with you when the big day comes. You are an inspiration.. and a wonderful example of sacrifice, strength and love. Your babies are So lucky God chose YOU to be their mommy!

    Best Wishes from Michigan!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats again Amber! I'm so happy for you and your family and I wish you all the best in the next few weeks. Here's hoping those babies have another week to cook - or 2 :)

    Keep up the good work!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy 29 weeks now onto 30 weeks! Everyday makes such a difference...but you already know that! You are doing great!:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. AnonymousMay 31, 2012

    Prayers for a safe and speedy delivery. I'm a friend of Summer's and have been following the blog for awhile.

    Amber, you are going to be a terrific mom.

    Love and prayers to all.
    Ann Haynes

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm watching the clock!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. June is tomorrow! Looks like you'll have June babies! Hang in there Amber:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Praying for you and the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  32. AnonymousMay 31, 2012

    This is only my second time commenting I believe, but I just want to say I was thinking of you and those babies. I remember the weeks/days leading up to my daughter's birth and wondering when the big day would be, and just cherishing those last days of pregnancy and feeling her move. I always thought that the pregnancy waddle was a made up thing until I experienced it myself! And then I couldn't wait to get her out so I could walk normal again!

    I can only imagine the excitement and probably a little hesitation with the big day getting closer. I just pray you are able to stay positive and hang in there - your four little blessings will be worth all of it, but I know you know that! :)

    I'll keep praying for you and the family, and especially those little babies! You're almost there - and what an accomplishment! Enjoy these last days/weeks with the four babies in utero! Pregnancy is an amazing thing!

    Blessings,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  33. AnonymousMay 31, 2012

    Congrats Amber and Mike ! Welcome to the world precious ones ! ! Dona

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from any readers out there, just keep it clean and friendly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...