8.08.2014

Is this a Stress Test?

I may or may not be about to pour my third glass of wine and it's not even 9pm. Today was not a very good one for about four tot-sized reasons I can think of. One of those incredibly frustrating days where I wonder how on God's green Earth He saw fit to hand me four children at once and say, "Go forth and be a mother."

Ay yi yi. For all of my posts about crafts and outings and life with quads, some weeks are a shit show and the kids don't cooperate and I'm left shuddering on the couch at the end of the day stress-eating birthday cake-flavored oreos. Other weeks, or even days, things go swimmingly and I feel like Mother of the Year. Today just wasn't one of those days and I've got to find a way to cope and pick up and start again tomorrow.

I haven't been able to update the blog like I want to lately, I haven't been able to keep up with my story assignments for work as well as I need to be, I haven't kept up with cleaning much either! But right now, even though things are mess, the house has slowly become quiet...


...and I'm going to shut down what's been my temporary work space at the dining room table and call it a night.


At least it was a good day for my mailbox (I'm always surprised at how much I look forward to my new issue of Parents magazine) and I've got a new bottle of wine to crack open and the husband just clicked on the TV.


Pretty sure it's going to take me about 8,329 hours to decompress after today but that leaves a lot of room for improvement when tomorrow comes, right?
post signature

12 comments:

  1. I love your honesty! I feel exactly the way you do today. The only difference is I have twins, not quads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take your glass,bottle of wine,draw a bubble bath,light a few candles,and relaaaaax!! Tomorrow those little devils of today are going to smile plant a slobbery kiss on your cheek,or do something to make you laugh and today will be forgotten :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have twins, whom are now adults. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You are human. Plus, your little toddlers will not remember the havoc they wrecked on your day. They will cherish the love and kisses. Put your feet up and enjoy your glass, two or three of wine! Cheers to you! You are doing a wonderful job Amber!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs Amber! As long as you have humor left believe me you are fine after a good night sleep. Many best wishes from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One toddler at a time is enough to drive a mum to drink somedays! I figure you can have four glasses of wine (one for each toddler) before you question your sobriety...hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was one of those days here too....minus 3 though. And the new Parents is good, except my 18 month old climbed on the kitchen table and emptied my glass of water on it as I went to the pantry to get him something.....I always like your posts, they are inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God for good wine, cookies, magazines and a time to wind down. You deserve it!!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you watched this ad campaign? I've noticed you mention feeding your kids chicken fingers and other stuff on your blog, just wanted to make sure you're aware of how you're impacting their future :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIE1jzG_eHI

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you watched this ad campaign? I've noticed you mention feeding your kids chicken fingers and other stuff on your blog, just wanted to make sure you're aware of how you're impacting their future :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIE1jzG_eHI

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids are nine and a half and closing in on three and a half, but oh how I remember that two year old year so well (especially with my first one). Even though schedule and routines are important, I learned very quickly that some days are about survival (with the end reward being whatever I purchased on sale in the wine aisle at HEB). In the nine and a half years I've been a parent, the hardest times were the newborn/sleep deprivation days and in the thick of it toddler days. Haven't hit the teen years, though.
    My cousin has a two year old who is the same age as your quads, and we've had lots of conversations this summer regarding the joys of that particular year. I remember having days the first time around where I'd be shaking on the couch by the end of the day - especially after working as a therapist in the schools all day and then coming home to my own challenging offspring. I cannot imagine that feeling times four. Notice the age gap between our kids? Yeah, the toddler years had a bit of an influence on that, too. :)
    You're doing great - keep rolling with it and maintain that fully stocked wet bar (nothing worse than needing that liquid libation and being too tired or too late to run out and buy something).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally relate to this!
    I'm so impressed how you can manage your consulting work on top of toddlers. That's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, thank you for being honest about having one of these days. We all do and they are so HARD!!!! I know when people see our crafty cool posts of the swimmingly good days they think every day is so great. Admitting there are brutal days shows your hummanity. I sure hope this week turns out to be a smoother one.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from any readers out there, just keep it clean and friendly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...